Problem solving, big-time - Boring John, World According to

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Problem solving, big-time

I have never been satisfied with solving one problem. I have always looked to solve the particular problem that faces me - be it mathematical, emotional or other - and then try to solve that particular class of problem.

A trivial example would mean designing, building and optimising one web page with a view to designing, building and optimising many web pages or even many websites!

There is a word for this approach, and that word is meta.

And, as you can imagine, it takes longer to solve problems working this way.

So, a far, far less trivial example.

That would be my trying to solve my own personal problems, but not accepting the solutions unless they could be applied to the problems that face the world!

(Yes, a big problem to try and solve all on my lonesome! But, as Ian Dury once wrote, "when I reveal all, I may get a crinkly mouth". Funny. I always thought he sang "won't they get a crinkly mouth". Prefer my version, actually.)

So that means that when I look at the conflicts, the frustrations, and the anger that lies within (me), I try and understand why; and I try and work out how I can remove them. But any reasons why, and any 'solution' that cannot also be applied to others, as well as to the world as a whole are rejected, and I go back to square one.

You'd be right in thinking that I am not the life and soul of the party. (Maybe they have already solved the problem, or realised that there is no problem to solve. We just are.)

Perhaps I am just making excuses for being a miserable so-and-so

Or perhaps I really do take life too seriously?

I'll let you answer those, as I have much bigger fish to fry*!

* My early conclusions are not that promising, by the way

No comments: