New Music - Boring John, World According to

Sunday, May 07, 2006

New Music

"In new music, we trust". So goes the Radio 1 mantra for their evening schedule of music.

I, too, like new music.

A lot.

And it has always made me laugh when those that once loved the music played by John Peel - a devotee to eclectic, inspiring and new music - subsequently criticised him, as their musical tastes stopped growing and his did not. (They preferred him to play what was new, when they were young, rather than what was new, now!)

So yes I like new music, and I continued to like the new music that John Peel played even if it was Thrash Metal or Country.

(Funnily enough, John never played the one musical genre I particularly dislike: the over-produced, and very far from Rhythm and Blues, RnB! He was a Liverpool fan too, though a real one and not a TV-fan variety like me!)

So, back to new music and the reason I started this entry.

I heard some new music that I really liked the other day, on first listening. Some of the sounds seemed familiar, some jarred a little, but most tunes hooked me with their rhythm after a few repetitions. (I am partial to repetitive rhythms, for sure, like James Brown, Lemonjelly and now Penguin Cafe Orchestra).

Yes, I like new music. But when that new music is music you will always like for the rest of your life, I like that the best.

Sadly, I think Penguin Cafe Orchestra is now defunct and the music now lives on only in television advertisements (e.g. Telephone and Rubber Band.)

But I am happy to add the repetoire of Penguin Cafe Orchestra to my modest collection of music for life...

No comments: